Friday, April 22, 2005

The wedding of doom

On the phone last night my sister, Sara, told me she suffers from guilt for not helping me with my wedding. Since she lives in Ohio, I understand why she can't drive to Chicago to help at the drop of bridal bouquet, and I told her not to worry about it. But then I remembered her wedding, and it all started coming back to me. "Yes," I told her. "You should feel guilty."

Since my sister was teaching English in China for the year after she graduated from college and wasn't returning until the month before her wedding, my mother took on the task of planning most of the wedding herself. In my mother's mind, this was going to be the wedding to end all weddings. She made (yes, actually sewed on her Bernina sewing maching) my sister's wedding dress, all of the bridesmaid dresses, the flower girl dress, AND her own dress. There were many details, and my mother obsessed over every last one of them and drove us all crazy. She turned me into her own personal wedding slave. In our family, the wedding came to be know as "Ellen B. and the Wedding of Doom" after the recently released Indiana Jones film.

After being an indentured servant most of the summer, the August wedding of my sister came and went. Of course, my mother pulled it off and the wedding of doom was beautiful. My sister and brother-in-law have been married for 20 years and have 5 children. It was the wedding to end all weddings.

Now my mom is gone, so she's not here to help me with my nuptial planning. I guess I'll have to convert Sara into a wedding slave all by myself.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheap and trendy deisgner clothing from ronkaclothing.com where we sell: Alexander Wang, Pillows, Decode 1.8, Adrienne Landau, Kitty, Rebel Yell, ROMYGOLD, Simdog, ROSEGOLD, Tolani Collection, Scala, Eugenia Kim, http://www.eicop.org/pc-694-17-31-phillip-lim-classic-bralette-with-chiffon-combo.aspx, My Biotiful Bag, The Dessy Group, Decades Denim, Pillows, Clogs, Interlude, Love is Louder, Christopher Kane, Cleaners, Plush, JJ Winters, Ani, Evening Gowns, Alexis Bittar, Nation LTD, T. Cyia, Jumpsuit, Current/Elliott, B-Low The Belt, Spirit Hoods, Havaianas, Chaser LA/NYC, TEXTILE Elizabeth & James, Creative Works, Karen Zambos, Small-Leather-Goods, Sandal, Torn by Ronny Kobo for The Mountain, DKNY, Laundry, Wedding, Long-Sleeve, Mules, Oonagh by Nanette Lepore, Oonagh by Nanette Lepore, Outerwear, Hat Attack, Sweaters, See by Chloe, Weekend Bags, Sachin + Babi, Shorts, NUE by Shani, Luv Aj, Vera Wang Lavender Label, Bensimon - all available from our online designer clothing store at 50% off sale! Check out http://arts.harvard.edu - harvard university arts and fashion.
We admire work of Harvard University Arts and Fashion - best school of arts where great designers learn
how to create great looking designer clothing!