Friday, November 10, 2006

Focus on the Family likes a Democrat?


Well, hell must be freezing over. I just read a Christianity Today article that quotes Tom Minnery of Focus on the Family speaking favorably of Barak Obama, a Democrat and possible presidential candidate for 2008. Never thought I'd see the day....

While, as I've said in the previous posts, that we should be more focused on the Kingdom of God than the Kingdom of Politics, I am encouraged that Christians are finally discovering a middle ground. That Christian Democrats and moderate Republicans are finally finding a voice and being heard.

And while Focus on the Family speaks favorably of a Democrat, I have to admit I have a crush on David Brooks, a conservative (albeit moderate) columnist for the NY Times. His Oct 17 column is entitled "Run, Barack, Run". While he's conservative, I find him thoughtful, reasonable, and his conservative perspective helps me to see another point of view. I don't like knee-jerk Democrats, just like I don't like knee-jerk Republicans.

So it's a good day -- not because Democrats won, but because the divisions between Democrats and Republicans, between conservative and liberal Christians, seem to be breaking down.

No comments: