Friday, February 01, 2008

Apologies

Hello dear readers. I apologize for my long absence. I started a new job on January 7--a 9-5 fulltime job. No more freelancing for me, no-sir-ee. And I'm actually quite happy about that. After spending five years in the corporate world DREAMING, SALIVATING, WAITING for the day that I could freelance again....I finally had the opportunity to freelance again in June of 2006 and realized, "Um, oops, I'm not happy with this arrangement after all."

I missed having colleagues. I missed getting up every morning and having somewhere to go. I felt lost and bored during the times when I only had a trickle of work. And I got tired of having anxiety attacks wondering if the work would pick up again.

The final straw was when David decided to go back to school to get a degree in counseling. Good decision. He's happy and working toward something that he's thought about for a long time. But that left us with no steady income, and that had to change. So the combination of all of these factors made me start contemplating a fulltime gig again.

Thankfully, around this time one of my freelance clients approached me. Good timing. Maybe divine? Who knows. But it's an agency where I've wanted to work for a long time. I love the work they do. The people are cool but not ego-driven. And I get to wear jeans to work everyday. You can read more about the agency here.

Check out the book they designed for the Dior exhibit at the Chicago Historical museum. Very cool. And they do work for the Morris Foundation -- which is all about animal rights. Right up my alley.

So I'm getting used to the commute (only 30 minutes on the train). I like having co-workers. I feel creatively challenged. And they pay me a lot. So it's all good.

And hopefully now we'll FINALLY get our adoption started! We're chomping at the bit, but felt like we needed to get ourselves into a more financially stable position before we got going full tilt.

So here we are. Now that I'm more settled into my new schedule and life, I hope to post more.

2 comments:

Dina said...

Wow, that's good news. Congratulations.

Val said...

Glad you're back!