Friday, August 01, 2008

Amazing



Let me introduce you to my new favorite CD. David got me a "surprise" gift the other day. I love his surprise gifts. They're usually something he's run across that he knows I'll like. And he's usually right, as is the case with his latest gift of this CD by Rickie Lee Jones. And that makes me feel like he gets me, which is the best feeling in the world, because I go through most of my life feeling like very very few people get me.

Anyway, when I read the website explaining how this CD came about, I fell even more in love with it. You can read the story here.

Basically, the songs are based on the words of Christ, but improvised by Rickie Lee Jones in what sounds to me was a recording session that was mystical, mysterious, and spirit-filled. Not sure how else I can describe it. When she was finished recording the first song, the rest of the people in the room were speechless. The result is raw, honest, authentic and edgy songs that reflect our often doubt-filled relationship with God.

Additional comment: If you decide to purchase this CD, you may want to listen to it in the store first. It's a little on the "edgy" side and her lyrics aren't for those who love straight-forward, easy-to-understand sing-along Christian tunes. So it's not for everyone. Jones doesn't even consider herself a Christian -- but her songs are a response to reading a book called The Word by her friend Robert Lee Cantelon, who is a Christian. You can read more about it in this NY Times article.

1 comment:

David said...

Yes, and I was reminded to get the CD, which came out last year, by the great Emmylou Harris, who called her "one of our most original artists" in the midst of recommending the CD in the NYTimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/29/arts/music/29play.html