Saturday, July 29, 2006

leaving corporate america


This is my second month away from corporate america, where I lost my soul for five years somewhere in the land of beige cubicles. So I made some money, piled up a lump of cash in my 401K, wrote some cool brochures for my portfolio, and made what I think are life-long friends (photo of our writing team above) but was it worth it? In the meantime I lost a sense of who I am. I stopped writing about things that were really important to me. Instead it was all about products and branding and coverages. Sure, it was moving words around on paper, so my writing didn't suffer too much. It was my soul that suffered. And, yes, in the end my writing suffers. Because what am I to write about if I have lost my soul? So the past two months have been about getting in touch with who I am again. In some ways it's excruciating, because I have to deal with the fact of 5 years of lost time.

So I am back to writing about things I care about. But what do I even care about anymore? I'm starting at square one. It's a new day. I can't look back. I'm forging ahead.

It's always been a struggle, as a writer, to figure out how to make money....to provide for myself, and to write about things I care about. It's always the corporate jobs that suck the life out of you that pay the most. The life-giving assignments typically pay crap. So if anyone out there has figured it out, let me know.

No comments: