Tuesday, October 16, 2007

So we got a new camera...

...and it was very traumatic. Because you know, I had to make the PERFECT decision, being the perfectionist that I am. The documentation of our lives depends on this one little square box...and it has to document our lives while making us look really hot while doing so. That's a lot of pressure for one little metal box.

During the first 2.5 years of our marriage, we've been getting by on David's old 35mm, disposable cameras, still shots taken with my video camera (which aren't very good quality), and the photos taken by friends and family member who may or may not remember to send us PDFs of their photos. I'm embarassed to say we only took about three photos of our honeymoon with a disposable camera. I know, we're pathetic.

Since I was tired of begging friends and families to send me their photos, and tired of having to take the disposables to Walgreens to get photos developed or put on a CD, we finally decided to bite the bullet and get a digital point-and-shoot. A small, fit-in-your pocket, moderately priced model. You know, the perfect camera for cheap. I'm always doing that....wanting everything for nothing.

It's probably not the best time to buy a new camera, anyway, seeing that I haven't had work for two weeks, we're trying to pay for school, and adoption, and save for taxes all at the same time. But I figured it would never be a good time, so we just had to do it.


So where to start? Consumer reports? We printed out the CR ratings and took it to Best Buy. The didn't have most of the models listed on the Consumer Reports ratings. So we fondled the shiny cameras for a while and left just as bewildered as when we arrived. Then we took to the internet, reading reviews and comparing models. Just as confusing. Then, to add more frustration, I decided to query friends while we were out for drinks the other night. All five of them had a different answer -- Canon...Fuji....Nikon....ARRGGHH!

Finally, on Sunday David suggested we just stop by a camera store -- a REAL camera store -- not Best Buy, and ask the experts there. So we went in and there was this guy behind the counter who looked somewhat intelligent. Not like the pimply-faced teenage employees who wander the aisles of Best Buy and offer to "help" even though they know absolutely nothing about the products.


The guy was very nice and smart. At least he came across like he knew what he was talking about. We were leaning toward a Canon, but the nice man informed us that Canons break down a lot. I guess the lenses get stuck or something. He was very much against us getting a Canon. Hmmm. So what do we buy, then? He showed us a Nikon Coolpix. It was very Cool. It was even red, and shiny, and very very skinny. It was like the anorexic camera. I kept thinking it would slide right out of my hands as I was taking a picture and I wouldn't even realize it. Then he showed us a FujiFilm camera. I didn't like the way it looked as much as the Nikon, but it felt a little heftier in my hands. I like a little meat on my camera, I decided, as I cupped the little box in my palms. After about 45 minutes, we had it narrowed down to the Nikon and the FujiFilm. Tough decision. Finally, the nice man took a photo of David with each camera. The FujiFilm photo seemed so much better -- clearer with great color. And the nice man also told us that Fuji's never break. They really sturdy and reliable. He was a really good salesman.


So we left the store, telling Jonathan (because by then we were on a first-name basis), that we'd think about it.

So I did for a few days....and today, after much thought, discussion, prayer (okay not really)...I went back to the store and bought it.

Here are a few photos of our "garden" taken with our new camera. Our garden is really just a few pots on our back deck. I wish I had taken photos when the flowers were in full-bloom this summer....they were gorgeous. Our garden's not much, but I like sitting out here in the morning with a cup of java. I also like the ivy growing on the wall of the neighboring building. It makes me feel like I'm sitting in Wrigley Field...but without the baseball (which is a plus for me).

I don't claim to be much of a photographer, but I'm happy with the quality of the photos so far. I'd like to take a photography class someday and learn how to take really great photos with all of the manual settings, etc. Then maybe we'll by a fancy schmancy camera with all of the manual controls. But for now, I think I'm pretty happy with this little point and shoot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love mine! just got it in March. Being able to take unlimited photos without having to pay for processing is fun & freeing. Also being able to carry the little guy anywhere, and whip it out to show people a picture of your kitty or your new boots is invaluable. Digital rules.

Dina said...

Yay! Your pictures are lovely.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.