Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Jackets!

Ahhh, Fall is finally here. Yesterday I jumped the gun a little and wore a wool sweater vest to two client meetings I had down in the loop. It did get a little hot on my walk back to my car, but I didn't care. I was wearing a sweater vest! Today it is truly fall, with gray fall clouds and a nice stiff breeze. People are walking around in sweatshirts and sweaters. It may even be time to put away my flip-flops and start wearing jackets.

I decided recently that I need a new jacket. An "in-between" coat, as I like to call them. Something that will take me through the transition from summer to winter. A jean jacket is the perfect fall coat. The only problem is, I'm a bit tired of my jean jacket. I'm a jean-jacket junkie. Jean jackets are stylish, and add a nice casual touch even over the dressy pants I wear to client meetings. But I wear it everywhere. The elbow are almost worn through. I just need a change.

So I think I need a new jacket....but if you came into our house, you'd never know it. Our tree rack is swollen with jackets. Windbreakers, fleeces, jean jackets, rain jackets, down vests, army jackets. The tree looks like it could topple at any moment. And there are even more jackets in our hall closet...Wool coats, down coats, parkas. Most of them, just so you know, belong to my husband. He's always on the quest for the "perfect jacket". He has yet to find the holy grail of coats.

I tease him often. "How many jackets do you NEED?"

"But this one is too short" he'll whine, pulling one of his many jackets off the rack.

"And this one is too hot when I ride my bike....I need a jacket that breathes."

Yesterday he walked into my office and said "I saw a really great jacket at Uncle Dans. It's just like my Columbia windbreaker, only it has GORTEX!" I could sense the excitement in his voice. I could tell that maybe he finally found "the one perfect jacket."

"Well" I sighed. "Maybe for your birthday."

"Yes!" he said, raising a fist in the air. To be honest, his obsession with jackets makes gift buying a lot easier.

But I know what will happen. I'll buy it for him, and he'll be excited for a few weeks, until he finds something wrong with it. Maybe the pockets will be in the wrong place. Or the snaps won't close right. Or it will be too hot when he rides his bike.

And the quest for the perfect jacket will go on.

5 comments:

ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dina said...

This post just cracked me up. Can't say why -- maybe it's just a glimpse into a side of David I didn't know -- one that is so unexpected. I know I don't know him very well, but I never would have guessed this about him.

My only in-between jacket is a Gap denim jacket with a mallard print flanel lining that I have had for 20 years.

ann said...

students wear flip flops all winter long.
and i have too many sweatshirts...wanna trade? :)

Karen said...

dina, yes there are many surprising facets to my dear husband. all very quirky, which is why i love him. don't even get me started on his chocolate fetish.....he once ate a whole (large) cannister of hot chocolate flakes by spoon.. I didn't even get the chance to make a mug of hot chocolate.

David said...

I think the jacket thing oughta be the last of what you've diplomatically called "surprising facets" of yours truly. Once they're all well and truly cataloged people will get the idea I'm like the eccentric guy down the block with the grown-over lot who talks to himself, has 500 cats and is building a spaceship out of 2-by-4s in the backyard. And that guy only has like a dozen jackets. The poor sap...