Saturday, March 08, 2008

A walk in the city

My new office is in the "River North" area of downtown Chicago, so we're close to Michigan Avenue, The Loop, etc. It's been too nasty outside to really take advantage of the neighborhood, but the other day when it was at least above zero and the sun was peeking out, I took a walk. Here are some pictures:

My office is on Superior Avenue, home to lots of galleries. I love these glass heads. I want to buy one.


Yes, ice falls off of the high-rises. People have died from being hit by falling ice. But I'm always curious about these signs. By the time you see a chunk of ice falling to the ground, wouldn't it be too late to get out of the way?


Here's the steeple of Holy Name Cathedral. About 13 years ago, when I was working in this exact same neighborhood at a mindless job and suffering from severe depression, I spent many of my lunch hours in this sanctuary. It was right after I had been dumped by a guy who I knew I didn't want to marry, but who had betrayed me and left me confused and hurt. I would sit and stare at the gorgeous carved wood crucifix that hangs in the front of the sanctuary and try to feel God's love.


Here's a ballerina in the Sak's window. I don't shop at Sak's because it's too expensive and the sales people are really snooty. Plus, what does a ballerina have to do with anything?


Here's Michigan avenue. I think it's about a mile or more if I walk from my office to here and back. It's a nice little workout during lunch.


The Hancock Building. It's a nice view from the top. Oh, and the thing to the left is the original Chicago water tower that survived the great fire.


Thanks for taking a walk with me today. For our next walk, we may venture into the notorious Cabrini Green neighborhood, which is being "gentrified." All of the former residents have been forced to move out, the public housing buildings are being razed, and the yuppies are moving in.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Thanks for the tour Karen. Thinking about you every day...