Sunday, April 13, 2008

I now look like Jane Fonda in Klute


I went to get a long-overdue haircut on Thursday. For those of you who know me well, you know I inherited a lot of hair-anxiety from my mother. You see, my mom had very fine, thin hair that caused her much grief. She tried everything to get her limp locks to do something...anything. She permed, colored, curled and sprayed. She tried different gels, mouses, curling irons, and shampoos. She was never satisfied.

From the time I was 12, my mom started giving me home perms. She projected all of her hair anxiety onto us girls, saying things like "We'll always need perms to give us 'body'". So I just assumed I was destined for a life of perm rods and frizzy hair. It also meant I kept my hair short and layered -- because "our hair is just to thin to grow long." I will spare you the pain of looking at photos. When David saw these old photos of me, his comments were "You look like you have an afro", and "You look like a cartoon character."

Thanks honey.

I gave up perms long ago. I no longer have a white-girl afro. And thankfully, my hair anxiety is mostly gone.

But I had to laugh when I walked in the door Thursday night after getting my hair cut and the first thing David said was, "Hey, you look like Jane Fonda in 'Klute.'"

So yes, people, I have a 1971 hooker hair cut. Just the look I was going for.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

But I'm sure David meant it in the best possible way. After all, Jane Fonda is hot!! :)

Jeanine

Dina said...

"So yes, people, I have a 1971 hooker hair cut. Just the look I was going for."

For some odd reason, I am having a super hard time picturing you in this role!

Jane said...

On the plus side, if you google "hooker haircut", you're the second hit.

Anonymous said...

I always liked Klute...and being the most liberal of your sisters have always liked Jane Fonda also. I am sure it is adorable!

Anonymous said...

page rank service top seo backlinks permanent backlinks