Sunday, April 20, 2008

Partying with the Writers of Faith



I spent the weekend with other writer friends at the Festival of Faith and Writing at Calvin College and my parched soul was filled to the brim. I think we writer-types (even those of us who don't feel like writers sometimes), go around feeling odd in a world of normal, and when we get together for these gatherings it's like coming home, or finally finding others members of our odd tribe. We discover maybe we aren't so weird after all, and that all of our quirks and insecurities and ways of thinking are just a part of being a writer. That all of us, even those who are successful and have published books and go on book tours and speak at festivals, have doubts and fears and insecurities. That writing doesn't come easily, even for the most talented.

I think in the past few years, as David and I have settled into marriage, that I've forgotten parts of myself. It's so easy to lose yourself in marriage. To get caught up in every-day life and paying bills and working and hopefully helping the other person become what God has created them to be. This is all fulfilling, and more so than I ever thought. But to put words on paper and write truth and craft the stories that happen to rattle around in my head is what I feel called to do. I try to deny it, and forget about it. It's too hard. I'm not disciplined enough. I'm afraid of failure. But, as writer Mary Gordon reminded us this weekend, "To be a writer is to fail and fail again."

I saw friends there I haven't seen for a few years. Had wonderful conversations about faith and writing and God. Listened to authors speak about their writing. I wish I could have brought you all along. Here are tidbits I can at least share with you:

"Christianity isn't about what you think, but it's embodying the faith. 'Blessed is the one who hears the word and does it.'" -- Scot Cairns (poet)

"Sometimes we pray just by doing what needs to be done." -- Kathleen Norris

"The storytelling impulse is a saving grace -- it reminds us that we are made in God's image." -- Kathleen Norris

"Sunday morning got hijacked by the scientists." -- Rob Bell

"Faith is to trust your instincts to be true to your calling." -- Elizabeth Berg

"Beauty is born in play." -- Katherine Patterson

"Three things are needed for beauty: Integrity, harmony and brilliance." -- Katherine Patterson

"In truth-telling is great beauty." -- Katherine Patterson

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like your new haircut aunt karen! very cute
-claire

Jane said...

So glad you were able to go and do this, it looks like it was amazing. I hope it bears fruit in a way that is meaningful to you...

Val said...

It sounds wonderful, and I'm so happy it filled you up. Thank you for posting a few of the comments and for sharing a bit of your week with all of us.

mrs metaphor said...

I remember that one of the speakers talked about how writers notice things, maybe it was Elizabeth Berg. Can I say that upon viewing this pictures I can say honestly that I had no idea the kitchen was right there...just behind me.

Ack.

I was so honored to get to spend this chunk of time with you though....that much I did notice.

amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

I'm glad you recorded all those quotes. I couldn't scribble fast enough. And I am especially thankful for those few minutes hanging out and talking with you in the book room, speaking of helping us feel normal. Oh yeah, my cousin thinks you were an angel sent to the festival just for her! :)

And Y said...

I like your hair.

Ahnalog said...

Cute photo! My Dos Equis-battered fish tacos there were amazing. And even better -- the company was impeccable. And, thanks to the completely ineffective margaritas Ang and I had, I remember it all very vividly. That's the plus-side to weak drinks. :)

[Isn't this grand? -- my first comment on your blog, and now everyone will think I'm a lush. Oh well.]