Friday, July 11, 2008

Obscure movie recommendation


I typically don't enjoy animated movies. They bore me. I don't know why. But David brought home "Persepolis" last night and I was blown away by it. The animation is unique and beautiful, like a graphic novel, and the writing is smart and provocative. It's based on Marjane Sartrapi's autobiographical novel of the same name, and tells the story of her childhood in the midst of the Iranian revolution. I wish I would have seen it on the big screen, instead of our dilapidated hand-me-down television. The movie's about an Iranian, but it's filmed in French with English subtitles. It was nominated for an Academy Award for best animated feature, and also won an award at Cannes.



2 comments:

Dina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dina said...

I put it in my queue at Blockbuster online. I think it's supposed to arrive today. Yay!

I deleted my prior comment because it sounded like I was ordering Karen to put it in my queue for me. Oops!