Saturday, July 12, 2008

Call the doctor...

In the past few months I've had:

breast cancer
heart attack
skin cancer
Lou Gehrig's disease
MS
Carpel Tunnel syndrome

I also think I may suffer from a wee bit of hypochondria.

It all started with a pain in my bosom. I tried to ignore it at first. I tried to remember the words of my doctor, who told me breast cancer lumps rarely cause pain. But the more I thought about it, I was convinced it was....something. Something serious. I mean, I've had three friends die of breast cancer in the past few years. So my friends and I can no longer kid ourselves that "we're too young" to get breast cancer. Right?

So when I got home I tearfully broke the news to David: "Honey, I think I have breast cancer."

To be honest, this isn't the first time I've mentioned my breast cancer symptoms to him. This happens about once every other month.

He looked at me, gave me a big hug, laughed and said, "Not again?!!"

I sighed, and started laughing, too. I knew I was being a little bit, well, alarmist. And sure enough, a few weeks later I got a mammogram and it was all clear.

Mysteriously, the bosom pain went away. Well, it didn't go away, it just moved to my legs and morphed into an achy, tingly feeling. Then I was convinced I had Lou Gehrig's disease. Or MS. Didn't my friend who has MS say her legs were tingly?

Suddenly, I felt too weak and exhausted to work out. I imagined the next few -- the last few -- years of my life as I declined and became weak and paralyzed. I would be brave and stoic and profound and maybe even write a book about my experience. I would make enough money so David could live comfortably without me.

I went to the doctor and told him about my exhaustion. Turns out it's not Lou Gehrig's disease. Or MS. It's probably just the side-effects of my headache medication. Whew. I dodge a bullet with that one.

But I was still worried about the red spot on my neck that kept itching. I first noticed it one day at work when I was wearing a beaded necklace. I figured the necklace was scratching my neck, leaving a red patch. But after a few days of going necklace-free, the spot was still there. In fact, it was bigger and redder. I started getting suspicious. I called my sister, who recently had a spot on her skin removed. "Was your spot itchy and red and wouldn't heal?" "Yep. That's exactly what it was like!"

So I had skin cancer. But I didn't panic. This was just the mild form, not that big nasty melanoma kind, so I could wait a few days before seeing the doctor. In fact, I was going out of town for the weekend, so it would have to wait until the next week. My days of sun tanning were finally catching up with me. It was the first of many skin cancer removals, I was convinced. I imagined my aging body with not only wrinkles and sun spots, but with divots from all of the skin-cancer removals. It was the beginning of the end.

So I went away for the weekend to a women's retreat and the whole time noticed the skin of my fellow retreat-ers. They had smooth skin. Beautiful skin. Not skin pocked with the scars of skin cancer. I was sad, but accepted my fate.

Mysteriously, though, a few days after I returned home the red spot started to fade. It didn't itch any more. Then, surprisingly, it was gone! I had dodged another bullet. I didn't have skin cancer after all!

Then came the heart attack. I had pain in my left arm. Achy pain, throbbing pain. Wasn't that a symptom of a heart attack? At work I kept my index finger on the artery in my neck. I felt my heart beat. I wanted to make sure it was still there. If I was having a heart attack, wouldn't my heart beat feel weird -- maybe racing or erratic or something? For the next few days I was fully in tuned with my heart beat and achy arm. Then the weekend came and my arm felt fine. In fact, the more I thought about it, the more I realized my arm just hurt when I was at my computer. Typing. Maybe it wasn't a heart attack after all. Maybe it was just Carpel Tunnel syndrome.

All of the sudden, both of my arms ached and I felt tingly in my hands. I Googled my symptoms. Google: A hypochondriac's best friend.

Sure enough, my symptoms perfectly matched Mayo Clinic's list of warning signs for Carpel Tunnel syndrome. Then I started reading what can happen if it's not treated. It can cause permanent damage in your hands, making them useless. The treatment is surgery where they cut open your wrists. Surgery that would leave long, ugly scars.

I decided not to let it get that bad. Excuse me but I have to go now and call the doctor. When I see him maybe I'll mention this mysterious pain on my scalp...

9 comments:

mrs metaphor said...

Are we related but this all sounds like stuff that happens in MY head...oy.

genericwife said...

And I thought that I was the only one who escaped life-altering or ending illnesses on a regular basis. This aging thing is not all that we believed it would be when we were younger.

As a skin cancer survivor, I know first-hand what that's like and have the scars to prove it. It does seem like everyone else over 40 has flawless, unmarked, uncut skin. But you'll find that we are not alone.

I found out a few years ago that I have "lumpy" bosoms which cause pain on a regular basis. So, I keep my eyes on them and always get my annual mammogram. So far, the lumps have yielded nothing harmful.

Hang in there my friend. I think it's all part of growing older.

Your adoption journey seems to have a temporary off-ramp on it. Believing that God's timing is perfect, you have to trust that your child is just not ready for you yet.

Hope you're having a great summer. Let's reconnect soon.

Susan Isaacs said...

Oh man do I relate. I had a bump on my nose that (with my Norwegian complexion growing up at the beach) started to bleed, twice in on week. I was sure it was melanoma. When I described it to the dermatologist, he said my description sounded worse than it looked. How do you deal with that? Is my description or his eyesight right? He numbed the nose, scraped off the top. He said it looked fine when he scraped it off, But he did tell me about Botox and Restalyn.

"We'll have the results in a week. if you don't hear from us, you're clear." I never heard anything more. Am I OK? or did they forget to call?

My nose healed and hasn't stopped bleeding. So I guess I'm not a hemopheliac either. But geeze.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure we should get you together with Stacey K next week . . . you may be bad influences on each other!

Jeanine

Stacey said...

Yep, that sounds exactly like me. Now working at a healthcare company, I know about all kinds of diseases I never would have worried about before. It sucks. ; )

Dina said...

Oh Karen, I cried laughing as I read this. It reminded me of our good laugh on the plane on the way home from TN! I have had most of the diseases you list myself. I think I hear a weird buzzing sound coming from a white box in my closet -- do you think I have tinitis?

Anonymous said...

I am so relieved I'm not the only crazy out there. Thanks for the laughs!!!!

Dina said...

Oh, and have you ever had a leg cramp and decided that you were certainly about to throw a blood clot and die instantly from a pulmonary embolism? That's a big one for me!

amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

I know the anxiety is real, but this made me crack up!