Monday, April 11, 2005

"Daily" entry

Okay, so my "daily" commentary is more like an "every-other-daily" commentary. My fiance pointed out that maybe I need to change the description of this blog. It's just that some days I feel I have nothing to say. Maybe it's because I'm out of practice. It's been a while since I've written on a daily basis...that is written anything other than insurance brochure copy. Yes, that's why I do for a living, I'm sorry to say. How did I end up here? When I finished my graduate degree in journalism, I envisioned a life writing stories about things that matter: women's issues, the arts, faith and culture, etc. And I did that for a while. I was a freelance writer and magazine editor. But somehow I ended up in corporate America and if I think about it too much, I get depressed. Life is funny that way. We make plans and have dreams, but somehow those dreams don't pan out and we're left a bit disillusioned. On bad days I fall into the trap of thinking that my job defines me. On good days I'm thankful I have a job that pays well, is somewhat secure, that I like my co-workers, and that lets me have 6 weeks of vacation. I can live with that...at least for a little while longer.

No comments: