Friday, June 01, 2007

Pomp and Circumstance


Nephew #1 (out of 10 nephews) graduated from college a few weeks ago. Then last weekend, Nephew #4 graduated from High School. We sat in a hot gym and listened to the middle school jazz band (with nephew #6 performing) play Pomp and Cirmcumstance. It brought back memories of oh, say....almost 25 years ago. Yikes. I feel old.

What do I wish I had known then, when I was an awkward and self-conscious 18 year old? Well, pretty much everything. I'm sure the graduation speech 25 years ago was fine (I don't even remember who gave it...the principal? who knows), but I'm the type of person who craves knowledge but doesn't really learn something until I live through it. So whatever was said went in one ear and out the other. And isn't that the way it is with most people? An honest gradution speech would be something like, "Whatever I'm going to say to you won't really matter because even if you try to absorb it all, you won't really understand it until 20 years from now when you've lived a little. So I'll just stop now so you can get on with your life."

But, just in case a little advice does work to make life richer or a little easier or more meaningful for the next generation, this is what I want to tell my nieces and nephews.

1. You are loved...by me, but mostly by God. Sometimes you won't feel like you're loved by God, but you are. Even when you don't feel it.
2. Success isn't about how much money you make or how much you achieve, but it's about your character and how you love others.
3. The most interesting people in life usually aren't the best looking or the most wealthy.
4. Giving a bag of clothes to a refugee family is more fulfilling than buying a new couch.
5. Travel, Travel, Travel.
6. Read, Read, Read
7. Beauty isn't about how you look, but how you look at others.
8. Don't end up in a job where you have to sit in a cubicle.
9. Figure out what you love to do, and do it. If you can't figure out what you love, that's okay too. Try a lot of things until you figure it out.
10. Work isn't always fun, but it's fulfilling to work hard and get paid for it. And even when it isn't fun the money will allow you to do the things you love to do.
11. Your work isn't who you are.
12. You achievements aren't who you are.
13. How you look isn't who you are.
14. Take big risks. When you do something that is beyond yourself, it allows God to step in and do the rest. And that's the coolest thing.
15. Exercise. It's good for the soul
16. Surround yourself with people who you admire, who you want to be like, and who love you and love God.
17. Your story will be your own, not your brother's or your sister's or your parents. You're writing a unique story...you're co-authors with God. Don't be jealous or wish you were living someone else's story. When you focus on your own, you'll see how cool and exciting it is.
18. Own a pet. Animals make us more compassionate.
19. When someone's going through a hard time, just sit with them and don't try to fix it.
20. Take naps. I can't really take naps, but David swears by them. I wish I could take more naps. I think I'd be a nicer person if I felt more rested.

So there you have it. Feel free to add your own graduation advice.

No comments: